Our planning service starts with a 1-hour phone or Zoom call to go over your book publishing strategy. We’ll go over questions like:
- Where do you plan to print and distribute? We’ll suggest different options.
- Printing details: Are you creating a paperback, hardcover case, or hardcover with a dust jacket? We’ll help you navigate the options and help you choose a printer that will offer what you need.
- Page details: Based on where you plan to print, your final book design may need to follow specific requirements. Page size and page count are some details that you’ll need to know way in advance of illustrating. Not all printers offer all sizes, and some may have page count requirements.
- Illustration details: We’ll share the exact page sizes and technical specs for your illustrator to follow. Details like page bleed, margins, and gutter margins are important for your illustrator to know to avoid delays in your project.
- Story review: We’ll go over your story together and suggest next steps. We might suggest working with an editor or a proofreader depending on the state of your text.
After our call, we will create a page storyboard for you. Whether you’ve already worked with an editor or you have a rough manuscript, we’ll help you plan the pages to effectively arrange your text. Authors often forget to include elements like the Title Page, Copyright Page, Dedication, About the Author and Illustrator, and possibly activity pages. If your printer requires a specific page count, it is important to plan ALL of these sections in advance. We will send you a PowerPoint or Word template that you can further revise with your editor and share with your illustrator for page planning purposes.
After your illustrations are complete, we would love to work with you on the final book design. But we also don’t mind if you choose to work with another designer. The page planning storyboard is all yours to keep.
Strategy call and storyboarding cost: $295
To order this service, please email info (at) dtperfect (dot) com. We’ll email you back to schedule a call.